Adding "Current Date/Time" to Comment Field

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Adding "Current Date/Time" to Comment Field Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:36 am • by Simoom
Hi,

Using Hazel to watch a folder, is there a way to append the Current Date & Time to the Comment Field (AppleScript or Rule: Do the Following > Add Keywords (Variable for Current Time))? I work in a PrePress department & would like to do this while preserving the Modified/Created Date & Time. All this is to save face in our dept regarding our workflow and whether or not deadlines are being met. The Modified Time doesn't really work due to the file can be sat on prior to uploading. Finally, the Comments Field can be viewed in List View via the Finder.

So far, this looks very promising w/ Hazel and I've been waiting for a App like this w/o resorting to the building in Automator.

Thanks for any help!

~ Sim
Simoom

Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:32 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I've added your request to the feature database though I don't know if/when it will go in. I'd have to think about how to work it into the UI.

For now you can have Hazel trigger an AppleScript. Let me know if you need any help with this and I'll see what I can cook up though keep in mind that I'm still travelling (WWDC is winding down now) so I may not have time to hunker down and figure it out until I get back early next week.

Thanks for the feedback.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:07 am • by Simoom
Thanks for your reply...

There certainly is a lot of possibility for this software; esp for keeping things organized & easily findable. I found your site as #10 in (Top Ten Apps that Should Have Been in Leopard).

http://lifehacker.com/software/lifehacker-top-10/top-10-apps-that-shouldve-been-in-leopard-267978.php

I see what you mean as the UI standpoint... You currently have a textfield for - Do the Following > Add Comment > [Entered Text] (Append to Existing Comment). Wonder if it could be possible to have a type-in variable w/o having to change that field to a pull down menu?
Simoom

Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:17 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks for the Lifehacker link. Saw it last week while I was at WWDC.

I'm looking to rework part of the UI now that deals with the file renaming and subfolder sorting. I can't make any promises but I'll see if I can also work something in for comments though I'm trying to seal things off for a final beta run for this release.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

hazel forever! Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:03 pm • by IDontDoWindows
Code: Select all
on hazelProcessFile(leFiche)
   tell application "Finder"
      set comment of leFiche to comment of leFiche & space & ((current date) as text)
   end tell
end hazelProcessFile
IDontDoWindows

Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:05 pm • by Mr_Noodle
IDontDoWindows:
Mucho thanks for all the scripts you've posted here and everywhere else.

Simoom:
Let us know how this works out for you or if you need any more help. Eyeballing the script, it appears that it should do what you want.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:17 pm • by IDontDoWindows
Are you kidding? I love it. It's great practice and a lot of fun.

And all part of the greater You-Gotta-Love-Hazel/You-Gotta-Love-Applescript evangelization process.
IDontDoWindows

Return to Support