Backup Apps

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Backup Apps Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:41 am • by wmike1503
Hi,

I am trying to setup Hazel to backup my apps to an external drive.

I have had a major machine failure so have had to re-install all apps. Hazel had managed to make a large number of identical backups to my hard drive.

All I want Hazel to do is to:

1. Check my apps directory and backup all the apps into a folder on my external HD.
2. Whenever a new app is added, I want this added to the folder on my external HD.

I can't seem to stop Hazel creating duplicates, even though I have ticked the 'do not copy if duplicate' box.

The rule I have is

'date added is date created'

then do the following

'copy to folder'

I've tried running the rule and nothing happens.

Any suggestions, please?

Cheers,

Mike
wmike1503

Re: Backup Apps Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:04 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Please do not post questions in the tips forums. That is meant for people posting tips.

I'm not sure if your rule condition is correct. You probably want "date added is after date last matched" for files that were newly added.

I'm confused as to the problem though. You say that nothing happens but that it's creating duplicates. Could you clarify?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Backup Apps Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:47 pm • by wmike1503
Excuse me - perhaps you can move this to the correct area.
wmike1503

Re: Backup Apps Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:44 pm • by flynn
Check my post http://www.noodlesoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1605.
It's basically the same thing you want to do with your apps, but with movies. Tweaking the scripts a little (mostly to work with your user name if your apps are in ~/Application and not /Applications), but other than that it will be the same.

It copies movies in my movies folder that aren't in my hard drive to my hard drive, and then sorts them in the correct category, while leaving movies that are in my hard drive but not in my computer untouched (so that I can free up space on my computer by just leaving only the movies I haven't watched, while keeping all of my movies backed up in my hard drive with the same directory structure).

It will most likely be more simple for you. If you need any help with my scripts just tell me i'll be happy to help!
flynn

Return to Support