Basic sync recipe

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Re: Basic sync recipe Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:04 am • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks for that. It does appear that the sync failed because GoogleDrive can't handle the metadata/extended attributes that the sync operation was trying to copy over. That stops things in its tracks which is why the second action never got executed.

You can try splitting them into separate rules and use the "Continue" action in the first one. Also, if the Dropbox one works consistently, make that the first rule.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Basic sync recipe Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:29 pm • by waitreally

Hello Mr. Noodle. I'm using this script. I want Hazel to look at a directory and sync all the folders except one called "Unity Attic." It does this. However, I'm now noticing that when it performs the sync action it does not delete files on the destination folder. It only adds files. How do I fix this?
waitreally

Re: Basic sync recipe Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:57 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Where are these files it isn't deleting? If they are directly under the folder Hazel is monitoring, then it won't work. If they are under any of the subfolders that are being matched by the rule, then it should.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Basic sync recipe Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:01 pm • by waitreally
Mr_Noodle wrote:Where are these files it isn't deleting? If they are directly under the folder Hazel is monitoring, then it won't work. If they are under any of the subfolders that are being matched by the rule, then it should.

They seem to be in subfolders. Let me describe it better and let me know if you have any ideas.

I have a hard drive I'm monitoring called "project." There are a few folders on that drive that each contain many subfolders. One of the folders I don't want to backup is called "Unity Attic." The "sync" action copied the root level folders from "project" to "project sync" on my Dropbox. "george" is one such folder. In that folder there are many files that have since been deleted on the source side, but are still appearing on Dropbox.
waitreally

Re: Basic sync recipe Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:49 pm • by Mr_Noodle
One thing to try is to enable debug mode (there's a sticky article on that at the top of this forum). Once turned on, the logs will show much more details info on the sync operations (among other things). Next time it syncs, email in to the support the logs for the folder in question and I can take a look at it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Basic sync recipe Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:08 pm • by mkirkwag
Thanks, Mr. Noodle, and apologies in advance for being simple. I've tried Hazel in the past and liked it, but just didn't have need to match the cost. Now I have a different use case and I think you're saying that your script, with appropriate tweaking, will accomplish this. Here's my use case:

I don't back up to iCloud because I use time machine. However, I want an offsite backup. I'd like to make a copy of my documents in iCloud and keep them in sync.

Am I correct that your script will accomplish this?
mkirkwag

Re: Basic sync recipe Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:08 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Only if you need one-way sync. If you need to sync in both directions, you'll need some other software specifically made to handle that.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Basic sync recipe Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:08 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Only if you need one-way sync. If you need to sync in both directions, you'll need some other software specifically made to handle that.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Basic sync recipe Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:17 pm • by mkirkwag
Thanks! That's what I need!
mkirkwag

Previous

Return to Support