archive content?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

archive content? Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:59 am • by beatoven
Hi. Is there a way to make Hazel find what's the content of zip files or dmg files?
When I download files, most of them are either in .zip or .dmg.
Some of the zip files contain dmg files, some contain fonts, or applications.
How can I make Hazel move them to corresponding folders for Applications or fonts?

Cheers,

Shawin.
beatoven

Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:55 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Hazel doesn't look inside archives like that so the only way to do the sorting would be to unpack the file using the unarchive action and deal with whatever is unpacked. Let me know if this works for you or if you need more assistance.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:56 pm • by beatoven
okayy thanks. That will work to move the extracted files.
What if I want to move the container archive after extracting the files?
Is it possible to do something like:
If unarchived file is an application, move the original dmg to \Somewhere\ ?

Cheers.
beatoven

Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:32 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Unfortunately, there's not good way of doing this with the built-in actions. I think you'd have to write a special applescript or shell script to do this. Sorry.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:05 pm • by IDontDoWindows
I would think there are too many variables for a script to work successfully in every case. For instance, I've downloaded a dmg for a plugin. The plugin has an installer app. So a script would check for an app, move it to the applications folder, but the thing I'm installing is actually a plug-in.
IDontDoWindows

Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:47 am • by beatoven
ye, you're right. could be an issue. But I rarely use plugins. The only plugin with an installer patch I have is Inquisitor. Things like flip4mac come with and installer package (mpkg). Anyway I wouldn't use it for directly moving apps to the application folder. Just to organise my Inbox folder. E.g. if i'm downloading a few guikits and some apps, i'd want them to be organised after downloading so that i don't have to dig in to find them. Same for zip files when downloading many icons/fonts/others...
beatoven

Return to Support