sync without delete

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

sync without delete Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:13 am • by philrob
Probably easy but I am struggling...

Local machine (macbook air) has limited available disk space, so I 'store' older files on a server. Moving them back to the laptop if I think I will need them with a client.

New files are created on the laptop, the folder structure can include new folders (for client projects) as well as new files in existing folders.

What I want to do is to ensure that all of the local files and folders are copied over to the server AND RETAINED.

Is there a setting for the hazel sync rule that DOESN'T DELETE files and folders in the destination directory :( (thank heavens for backups) but just copies over newer files?

I have looked at the sticky subfolders post at the top of the forum and can't get my head around it. I have also looked at this post http://www.noodlesoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1496

If 'sync' is not the answer does anyone have a rules 'recipe' for the job?

Thanks in advance.
philrob

Re: sync without delete Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:06 pm • by flynn
instead of using "sync", you could use "copy".
flynn

Re: sync without delete Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:35 am • by philrob
Thanks for the reply.

Is copy recursive down the folders, sub-folders, sub-sub-folders etc? (including the new folders)?
philrob

Re: sync without delete Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:20 am • by flynn
copy will copy everything that matches the rule. Make sure it doesn't go into subfolders though because it will copy the items inside the folder and not the folder itself
flynn

Re: sync without delete Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:34 am • by philrob
I think this is where I am struggling and why I went for sync (not realising that it would delete files on the server if they didn't exist on the local folder)

I want to ensure that the whole folder structure below clients (including new files in existing sub-folders as well as new sub-folders and the files inside them) is copied over to the main 'store' on the server. Essentially the server then has everything that is on the macbook together with all the 'archive' files.

When space gets tight on the macbook air I just delete the local files knowing that they are easily retrievable from the server if I will need to hold them locally (to take with me to a meeting etc.)

I suppose I am looking for a rules recipe that mimics sync (but without the delete part enabled)
philrob

Re: sync without delete Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:52 am • by flynn
Just have a rule that compares Date last Matched to Date last modified in your top level folder, and that will copy all the folders onto your server when they are modified. If you want to have something more precise, like something that compares file by file, you may need to create separate rules and run them for each sub folder individually.

Sample Rule for the top Level Folder
Code: Select all
If (all) of the following conditions are met for (the file or folder being matched)
Date Last Matched (is after) Date last modified
copy into folder (Server Folder)

this should do the trick
Last edited by flynn on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flynn

Re: sync without delete Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:03 pm • by philrob
Thanks,

I'll give it a try on some test files.

I suspect I might be trying to get hazel to do something it shouldn't really be used for.

A script that calls rsync without the delete option might be the best way forward...
philrob

Return to Support