How does the process order work?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

How does the process order work? Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:44 pm • by haekke
First off - thank you for this amazing software.

Just started trying to use this and ran into a few questions.

-How does the process order work?

This is a setup for unarchiving some files and keeping the archives for later use:

Folder 1. :

1. find folders and move those to folder 2 (which I will use for unarchive)

(So in short move folders from Folder 1 to folder 2 (as unarchive deletes archives))

Folder 2. :

1. find folders and run rules on folder contents
2. find archive files and unarchive
3. --now here is the step im worried about- Can I here start again and look for the folders I also looked for in step 1, if say I want to move them after unarchive? OR am I nested into the folders in step 1because I ran "run rules on folder contents? If I am, how do I get around this? if possible?

Also would it be possible in a future update to add arguments to unarchive (eg. unrar switches : -r -cl -o- ect.) or can I already do this somehow with a little tweaking?

PS: How do I add another IF argument like posted in this screenshot on this post: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1570

Thank you in advance.
haekke

Re: How does the process order work? Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:04 pm • by Mr_Noodle
For #3, you can do that but you probably want to do that before rule 2. Use the preview function and play around with it.

Not sure about adding arguments as (a) the unarchive action handles a bunch of different types so it uses many programs and (b) I may change the program/code which does the unarchiving in the future. If there are specific bits of functionality you need, let me know but in the meantime, if you need to, you should use a script.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: How does the process order work? Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:51 am • by haekke
Thank you very much! Got it sorted out with a workaround, I however ran into another problem.

In the FAQ I read that Hazel stops processing items in a list if it finds a match.

I now made this setup:

1. find kind folder - run script to look inside and unrar ( works perfect)
2. find kind folder which contains name abcabc -> run script

Now my problem is that if hazel found #1 it stops processing, which means that I cannot get it to process #2 if it already did an unrar on this folder. Is there a workaround for this? Or can I force hazel somehow to process ALL items in my list - as thats exactly what I want to do

This would be helpful also when doing something like this:
1. unrar
2. delete folders when older than eg. 7 days

Also, I experienced hazel creating duplicate folders adding -1 at the end of some folders - How do I prevent this ?

Thank you in advance
haekke

Re: How does the process order work? Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:51 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I'm not sure if your setup is correct. You want to match folders and have Hazel go into it. If you encounter a rar, unrar it (that is a separate rule). I don't know what you want to do with #2. Do you want to match folders caontaining the name abcabc or files in that folder with the name abcabc. If the former, you can just reorder the rules. If the latter, then it's a separate rule that matches a different file than folders and rar files so it should be fine.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support