Item count error

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Item count error Mon May 28, 2007 7:23 am • by chezbiscuit
This isn't a bug per-se, but is something I think should be changed.

I have set up some rules to run based on the number of items contained inside an item, and notice that Hazel is including invisible files (ds_store and .trashes I would guess) in this count. So when a folder contains just one other item (as reported by the 'show items count' option in the finder), hazel thinks the count is 3. Obviously you can compensate for this inside Hazel, but these files don't ALWAYS exist, and since by default it doesn't run rules on these files, I would assume that it shouldn't be including them in counts either.

Thanks,

e.
chezbiscuit

Mon May 28, 2007 10:06 pm • by Mr_Noodle
The last beta has a tweak to not include .DS_Store files in size calculations. I will probably extend this to exclude all files with the invisible bit set. Note that this is "size" and not "number of items".

Are you using the "Number of Items" Spotlight field? If that is the case, that is something that OS X records so Hazel just uses what it is given. It is possible for me to provide my own version of that field that filters out invisible files but I need to consider whether I want to add the field at all. Could you give me the specific uses you have for it? If you just want to detect whether a folder is empty or not, you can use the "size" attribute (specifying 0 bytes) otherwise I'll consider adding a special Hazel version of "Number of Items".

Also, since this is touching on beta functionality, future posts on this should probably go to the beta forum or I may just move this thread at some point.

Thanks for the feedback.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support