"Import into Photos" with a Referenced Photos library

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi,

Just looking for a bit of background info / clarification - if I use Photos.app in referenced library mode, does the the "Import Into Photos" action play nice with that? As in, does it cause a reference to the image to be added to Photos, leaving the file itself in its place?

Thanks.
metaning

It should but 5.3 uses a newer Photos API to import. My testing at the moment is inconclusive (I don't really use reference mode so not sure what to look for). Have you tried it on your end?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:It should but 5.3 uses a newer Photos API to import. My testing at the moment is inconclusive (I don't really use reference mode so not sure what to look for). Have you tried it on your end?

I haven't been game to, as I don't use Photos.app yet - my photo library is still in Aperture running on an ARD-accessed Mac Mini.

I guess my thoughts are for the process flow, does Hazel hand off the file path to Photos, which then handles the import process itself, using whatever setting it has - so if Photos is set to copy images into its library, the image is copied, whereas if Photos has that setting unchecked, and so just adds a reference, the file isn't moved.

Or does the process work differently to that?
metaning

It should but as mentioned, Hazel 5.3 shifted to using Apple's newer API and it's less clear how it operates internally. I suggest trying some test files with Photos and see if it behaves as you expect.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support