Problem with 'Date last opened' rule

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Problem with 'Date last opened' rule Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:15 am • by David Asch
I'm pretty sure this is an OS issue as it only started happening today (before I installed the Hazel update) but I wanted to raise it.

I have rules set up on folders that automatically move files that haven't been opened within a certain period. I noticed that a file I had just opened (PDF in Acrobat) had been moved to another folder when the rule is not opened in the last 2 weeks.

I checked other folders I have that use that criteria and it was the same. The last opened dates seem fine when I check in Finder.
David Asch

Re: Problem with 'Date last opened' rule Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:56 am • by Mr_Noodle
Can you post screenshots showing this? Use a site like imgur.com if you don't already have your own cloud service to host images.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Problem with 'Date last opened' rule Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:58 am • by David Asch
I checked a more recent addition. I was mistaken that there was a date opened, seems editing and saving doesn't count as opening.

That said, I have been using these rules for months, mostly on folders of images created in Photoshop and haven't had Hazel move them immediately.

I have now added a date added rule, as I often want to move things out of archive folders after the date criterion has passed.

David Asch

Re: Problem with 'Date last opened' rule Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:26 am • by Mr_Noodle
Date last opened can be finicky. It usually only counts if you open the app from Finder. You may want to test with other apps as well, like Preview, as I also wouldn't be surprised if Adobe is broken on that front (they aren't known for adhering to native standards).
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support