HazelWorker Hanging

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

HazelWorker Hanging Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:53 am • by farang
I have a large folder I'm trying to sync from my iCloud folder to my Synology NAS.

Hazel syncs all of my other folders but I have one folder with over 100,000 files. Every 1,000 or so files it just stops working.

I see this error in the Debug logs:

2024-02-22 14:42:57.355 hazelworker[360] Documents: Rule Sync Personal Docs Folder matched.
2024-02-22 14:42:57.355 hazelworker[360] DEBUG: New rule signature. Executing actions.
Old signatures: (
)
New Signature:{typeObject isType: "public.folder" AND displayBasename ==[cd] "Documents" AND (dateModified >[cd] dateMatched OR (dateModified >[cd] dateMatched))}:{(sync:/Volumes/Document Archive/2024 Document Archive/Personal/Docs,{
})}
2024-02-22 14:42:57.361 hazelworker[360] DEBUG: Could not find trash directory for path /Volumes/Document Archive/2024 Document Archive/Personal/Docs: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=3328 "The requested operation couldn’t be completed because the feature is not supported." UserInfo={NSUnderlyingError=0x600003b02100 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=2 "No such file or directory"}}

And usually I have a folder created in the directory called:

(A Document Being Saved By hazelworker)

In that folder is the file being copied (obviously). But it doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason on what files it stops working on. The current one is 3k. Another one might be 100MB.

I end up having to restart Hazel rules and then it will do another 1,000-ish more files and then hang again.
farang

Re: HazelWorker Hanging Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:42 am • by Mr_Noodle
I've found Synology's to be quite bad in supporting basic filesystem features. From what I can tell, Hazel is trying to find the trash for that volume so it can throw files away but the NAS is reporting that it doesn't support that feature (?). Since it is happening sporadically, that indicates an issue with the NAS software. Have you tried contacting them?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: HazelWorker Hanging Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:44 am • by farang
Mr_Noodle wrote:I've found Synology's to be quite bad in supporting basic filesystem features.

Have you tried contacting them?

Sort of a pointless exercise contacting Synology, no? :-)

That said, it seems odd that Hazel only quits on this folder (and subfolders). Everything else syncs with no issues. Maybe if I sync each subdirectory individually or zip up certain folders.

So, if I can't sync to a Synology NAS, are you aware if there's another way of doing this? For instance, I know some people have talked about putting Apple Music or Photos on an Apple disk image on their NAS since Apple doesn't recognize NAS filesystems for Photos or Music libraries.

BTW, I did eventually get mostly everything to sync. First I zipped up some folders so it didn't have to sync as many individual files and that seemed to have helped. I did have to quit and restart it probably about 10 times to get 10,000 files sync'd but it seems it got most of them.

But I'm not sure what didn't get sync'd up. Is there a way to recheck the sync? Like, is there a file Hazel keeps track of what files have previously been sync'd and deleting that file will force it to rescan and resync any files that are missing from the original source? At this point it can't be more than 10 or 20 files that are in limbo status but I don't know which ones are sync'd and which ones aren't.

Great product, by the way. Happy with Hazel and can already think of about 20 other things I want to use it for. :-)
farang

Re: HazelWorker Hanging Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:28 am • by Mr_Noodle
I don't deal with Synology so I have no idea how pointless it would be. It's just natural to contact the people responsible for a product.

You can check the logs but not sure what you are asking. If you changed things up so that everything ran successfully, then it should all have been synced. It does not report success if it didn't sync all the files the rule said it was supposed to.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: HazelWorker Hanging Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:21 am • by farang
Mr_Noodle wrote:I don't deal with Synology so I have no idea how pointless it would be. It's just natural to contact the people responsible for a product.

You can check the logs but not sure what you are asking. If you changed things up so that everything ran successfully, then it should all have been synced. It does not report success if it didn't sync all the files the rule said it was supposed to.

I just meant that it's an issue with their file system. I don't think they see it as a bug. They have their own tools for synching files and folders but they lack any sort of the flexibility Hazel offers.

What I meant in my questions was . . . maybe easier to walk through a scenario.

Folder A -> Folder B

As it copies files from Folder A to Folder B, it hangs leaving the following folder in Folder B:

(A Document Being Saved By hazelworker)

Inside that Document Being Saved folder is File-1234.txt

It just hangs until I restart Hazel.

When I run Hazel again, Hazel creates a new folder:

(A Document Being Saved By hazelworker)2

The first folder never goes away. It just stays there with the file in it.

If I delete that file and folder after Hazel has completed all of its sync'ing, should that file be filed away correctly or did it get stuck and Hazel thinks it was already sync'd to Folder B but it never made it to that stage?

My question was whether or not there was a way to get Hazel to recheck all of the files and sync any missing files that may have been stuck in that limbo state.

But from what you're saying it sounds like if Hazel looks at the last modified dates on the files, it would see the file in Folder A and no file in Folder B, and would then sync that file.
farang

Re: HazelWorker Hanging Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:12 am • by Mr_Noodle
Are you using the Sync action? It should make the destination identical to the source. Whether it re-checks depends on the conditions you set up on the rule. If you turn on debug logging (https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-debug-mode/), you can see the output from the sync operation in the logs.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support