Hazel rule and network drive

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hazel rule and network drive Thu May 17, 2012 1:46 am • by guillaume kuster
Hi,

I'm new to Hazel and I love it.

I have noticed that Hazel opens up quite slowly when hitting the menu bar item's "Open Hazel...". By slowly, I mean 30 secs to one minute, including a beach ball moment of fun.
I tried to investigate this behavior a bit and found that a rule I had set to copy any file added to a specific folder to another folder on a network drive caused this.
Is it correct to assume that Hazel checks the availability of the network drive before it shows its preference pane ? (Hazel runs on my MBA, not always connected to my home network the drive belongs to)
Is there a way to keep my beloved rule and have Hazel open normally ?

Thank you for your answer.

Guillaume Kuster
guillaume kuster

Re: Hazel rule and network drive Fri May 18, 2012 2:25 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Yes, Hazel has to check the availability of the folder on the network drive. Next time it spins like that, though, you might want to launch Activity Monitor and get a sample of the System Preferences process just so I can make sure that's what it is.

Not sure if there's much that can be done about it without Hazel showing inaccurate information in the interface. It shows the folder's availability and also needs to resolve the path to see if the folder was renamed or moved. If the folder in question is buried in a rule and not in the folder list, I can look into delaying resolving the path until later but not sure how much can be done there as well.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel rule and network drive Sat May 19, 2012 4:59 am • by guillaume kuster
Thank you for your answer.

Just for you to check, here's a sample of the System Preferences process taken while launching Hazel.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2192166/pref%20pane%20sample.txt

Something I forgot to mention in my previous post: just before Hazel's pref pane shows, I get a dialog saying that my network drive is unreachable (rough translation as my OS runs in french). once I hit the OK button, the pref pane shows.
guillaume kuster

Re: Hazel rule and network drive Mon May 21, 2012 11:18 am • by Mr_Noodle
The sample confirms it. Thanks. Unfortunately, any time you use a network file system and the host is down, it has to do a timeout before determining that it is unavailable. It's the unfortunate reality when dealing with the network.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support