New "sync backup" folders appearing in Trash

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hello. I'm running Hazel 5.3.1 on Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71).

It appears that with a recent update, Hazel rules that I have used for a couple years that rely upon the "Sync" into folder are now creating a copy of the item that was changed in the Trash folder.

I have attached an image depicting a rule that is impacted.

Here is a scenario. I change the functions.php file within a folder that is syncing based on file time/date. Upon saving the file it is successfully synced into the target folder. AND a copy of the file, respecting the folder structure, is also created in the Trash in macOS. The root folder in the trash is appended with "sync backup". If I make changes, it keeps creating additional folders in the trash and adds a 1, 2, etc. to the end.

I don't think I changed anything on my end, other than upgrading this morning.

Open to any thoughts or suggestions.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
meadeiator

It appears I am not able to attach an image. Happy to provide in another format if that is useful. Thanks again!
meadeiator

You need to use a third party service to host your image. If you don't have a cloud service you already use, you can use imgur.com.

Please post pics of your rule.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Here is the rule
https://imgur.com/a/SLm3wdn

Here is what appears on the Trash
https://imgur.com/a/AiqgWZB

Thanks again for your assistance!
meadeiator

Ah, that are the files that were "removed" as a result of the sync. They are there for you to recover if the sync overwrote files you didn't intend.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thanks for the reply. I can see the logic. I'm just curious if this is a new behavior and/or if there is a way to disable? I've just never seen it before. When I'm working on large numbers of files with multiple updates to the file (multiple "saves" that create a sync event) the trash balloons now. I can handle through additional rules, but wanted to ask before I go down that path.

Thank you, again.
meadeiator

No way to turn it off at the moment but may consider a hidden default that you can set to do so.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thanks for the info. Great appreciation for you and for Hazel! A great tool I've used for years and recommended to many. Wish you all the best in 2024. If that does become an option, hidden or otherwise, please add me to a list to notify...else I'll keep reading release notes...which I do anyway. Have a great day!
meadeiator

Return to Support