Rule not updating + can't Force Kill Hazel

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I have this rule
https://ibb.co/bL7TYCf

Initially, I didn't have the "Date Created" condition, but it was causing a conflict, because it was trying to rename something that wasn't ready to rename yet (a backup from CCC).
It worked 2-3 times before showing me an error that it wasn't able to rename, and even CCC was showing an incomplete backup, so I added that condition to wait 2 minutes.

Thing is, whenever I run the backup, Hazel tried to apply the rule, ignoring that condition. It starts renaming the folder right away. This is actually not the first time that it seems that Hazel is not updating the rules, even after saving. Some of the rules in the past I had to completely create new rules, otherwise it wouldn't work.

Does Hazel have some kind of cache that we can delete to fix this, or something similar?

Also, when I go to Activity Monitor and try to force kill Hazel, because it gets on that endless loop unless I delete the files/folders from the folder I'm monitoring, I can't force kill it, which is not a good thing. I see 3 files, but none of them react to the Force Kill
https://ibb.co/GHD06L0

How can I kill Hazel completely in case of "panic"?
alltiagocom

You do not want to kill the helper. Did you try just stopping Hazel within Hazel (either via the Hazel menu or the menubar icon)?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:You do not want to kill the helper. Did you try just stopping Hazel within Hazel (either via the Hazel menu or the menubar icon)?

No, I didn't think about using the menu at the top.
But still, if there's a moment of panic where the menu bar also doesn't work, Force Quit should work to completely kill the app.

You forgot to address the other issue which is the most important one: why is sometimes Hazel not updating the rules when I make changes?
Is there any cache that can be emptied or something? Because having to recreate the rule from scratch is wasting time.

Off topic, but this is something I pointed out in the past with an old account:
The forum is not sending me any notifications when I create a new post.
This seems to be because apparently when I create a new post it doesn't automatically set me to "following", which should, otherwise we miss on important replies.
Can you please fix/change this?

On my Control Panel here:
ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=post
I have it set to YES for "Notify me upon replies by default:"

But when I go to
ucp.php?i=main&mode=subscribed

It says "You are not subscribed to any forums."
I don't know if this is causing it to not, but it would be good if we could receive notifications on our own topics by default.
alltiagocom

If Hazel is already running, rules won't be updated for that run. Stopping Hazel should stop that such that when you restart, the rules will be reloaded.

As for forum notifications, not sure why it isn't working. Have you tried following topics instead of the whole forum?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support