Abnormal space taken by hazel

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Abnormal space taken by hazel Sun May 13, 2012 9:12 pm • by flynn
Hello,
Last night I downloaded a couple of torrents, and I use hazel to rename and move those torrents. But I suddenly noticed a huge decrease in space in my hard drive. At first I thought my torrents were taking up the space, but as soon as I deleted them I realised something else was. As I checked all my folders, I noticed the log folder in ~/Library/Log/Hazel was taking about 100 gb of space. Is that normal? Do I need to keep those files? 100 gig seems a lot for log files

Thanks

By now, the hazel.log file has increased to 20.3 gb, and in the console the logs keep coming, I have no time to read them, it's like if the rules were ran again and again.

about 3 hours later, the file is now almost 24 gig...
flynn

Re: Abnormal space taken by hazel Mon May 14, 2012 7:04 am • by Pe8er
I had a similar issue. I found out that “run rules on folder contents” action was responsible for it, if run on large folders frequently.
Pe8er

Re: Abnormal space taken by hazel Mon May 14, 2012 2:47 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Do you see anything in particular in the logs being repeated? Also, if you turned on debug mode, make sure to turn it off unless you are diagnosing something. Instructions are in one of the sticky articles near the top of the forum.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Abnormal space taken by hazel Mon May 14, 2012 6:49 pm • by flynn
There are stuff repeated, but from what I can read it's just hazel running all the rules for each folder on all the files, repeatedly.

Debug mode was on, I shall turn it off.

The file is now at 35.62 GB

My question remains though. Can I delete those files?
flynn

Re: Abnormal space taken by hazel Tue May 15, 2012 3:07 pm • by Mr_Noodle
You can but to make sure it's done cleanly, kill the HazelHelper process and then remove the file. Load up the Hazel pref pane again and it should restart the helper for you.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support