Locate a Folder from the error message

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Locate a Folder from the error message Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:14 am • by quikatb
Hello,

I have lots of folders being monitored and lots of rules inside the folders. Occasionally I will rename or delete a folder that is referenced in one of my rules which then generates log entries for the missing folders. Is there an easy way to identify which rule is causing the problem? The error message tells me what folder is missing but I can't find what rule referenced it. I currently have to scroll through every rule in every monitored folder to try and find and correct or delete the errant rule. This can be a bit tedious and time consuming.

After positing the above I noticed that it appears Hazel will issue error messages when folder is missing even if that particular rule is disabled. That is what has happened in a couple of my instances.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.
quikatb

Re: Locate a Folder from the error message Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:24 am • by Mr_Noodle
Have you looked into the Replace folder feature? You can use that to replace a folder across all your rules instead of having to do it manually.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Locate a Folder from the error message Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:57 am • by quikatb
Mr_Noodle wrote:Have you looked into the Replace folder feature? You can use that to replace a folder across all your rules instead of having to do it manually.

Thank you, yet another great feature that I wasn't aware of which solves part of my use case. The other half is I will simple go into finder and delete folders when I am finished with he specific purpose for which they were created, two examples are trips, I typically create a folder for all records associated with a specific trip and a month our two after that trip is complete and the recipes in and reconcilled I will delete the folder. Another example is last year I sold a piece of property this year after filing my taxes I deleted all the records from the initial purchase back in 2003 to the sale in 2022. So it sounds like no easy was from he logs to quick identify which rule referenced a specific folder.

Thanks again.
quikatb

Return to Support