Ignore DOB when searching for a date

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Ignore DOB when searching for a date Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:25 am • by BlueDoc
I suspect this can't be done but thought it worth asking!!
I use Hazel to sort all letters/documents that come to the house after I've scanned them. Every Hazel rule first searches for the first instance of a date (which is usually the document date) and I incorporate this date into a new file name to keep all files in date order.
The problem I have, particularly with documents relating to medical stuff, is that the first date is sometimes my DOB. Is there a way to ask Hazel to ignore certain dates when searching for dates?
Thanks for any advice/help
BlueDoc

Re: Ignore DOB when searching for a date Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:22 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Not in that way. It would be better to refine your conditions to either provide more context to the date matching (like surrounding text) or detect which files have the DOB and handle those differently.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Ignore DOB when searching for a date Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:47 pm • by BlueDoc
Mr_Noodle wrote:Not in that way. It would be better to refine your conditions to either provide more context to the date matching (like surrounding text) or detect which files have the DOB and handle those differently.

Thanks for the advice. I suspected I would have to think of a work around.
BlueDoc

Re: Ignore DOB when searching for a date Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:58 pm • by mthomas
Can you not exclude DOB then pick up the next instance of a date?
i.e. if DOB is not 00/00/0000 skip?
mthomas

Re: Ignore DOB when searching for a date Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:13 am • by Mr_Noodle
Not really. You can specify an occurrence by count but not by whether it matches something.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support