Problem when Dropbox path changed

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Problem when Dropbox path changed Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:17 pm • by dolfs
I have lots of rules relating to folders inside my DropBox account. Recently DropBox decided to change the location of the off-line folder from /Users/Dolf/Dropbox/Dolf to /Users/Dolf/Dropbox/. I originally had multiple dropbox accounts (work related) and so would also have /Users/Dolf/Dropbox/Work1 etc.

Hazel has stored the path to the folders that I have rules for inside its rules file(s). The folders now show "greyed" out and hovering over them shows the "old" path. I could not find any way to somehow tell Hazel about the new location and get everything connected. I could, obviously, have exported rules, re-established a new folder and then (re)import the rules. However, I had 20+ such folders, so that would be cumbersome.

So, did I overlook a place to somehow do this? If not, it would seem this should/could be a feature. In some other programs I have even seen cleverness where, when you re-locate on file/folder, it remembered to old->new path mapping and tries to apply it to all other "missing" folders.

My workaround: I created a symbolic link named "Dolf" inside my dropbox folder, pointing to "..". This causes the old path to resolve and things are working. I would love to be able to remove that kind of confusing symlink.
dolfs

Re: Problem when Dropbox path changed Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:40 am • by Mr_Noodle
Try File->Replace Folder.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support