Move to subfolder, then action items in subfolders

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi,

I'm looking for a couple of pointers on what the most correct way to set up the targeting of rules for the following would be:

I want to be able to:

• copy files to a root folder
  • have those files sorted to (created if necessary) subfolders for year / month / day

Once they're in those locations, I'd like to be able to create other rules that can be run against them, but not effect any contents in the root folder itself.

The use case would be using Image Capture to import files from a camera card to a root folder on disc for that camera:
  • having one rule that sorts them to Y/M/D subfolders
  • another rule(s) that does things with the files once they're sorted to subfolders - eg making copies of the movie files to a different directory, etc

Thanks,
metaning

OK so I've set up a sort into subfolders rule, which successfully moves everything arriving in the root folder to the appropriate subfolders:

And I have a rule to copy video files to a separate location once the originals are archived into the Y/M/D folders:

And I've added the Go Into Subfolders rule to my root folder, so the video mover will effect all the contents of the subfolders:

The question I have:

My reading of the documentation suggests Go Into Subfolders will make the Sub Folderer action apply recursively to items once they're placed in their sub-folders.

So do I need to restrict the Sub Folderer action to the root level with something like a Subfolder depth is less than 1 condition (and a greater than 1 condition on the Video Mover ?), or is there a way to exclude a rule from the influence of Go Into Subfolders?

Thanks
metaning

Yes, you'll need to add criteria to limit certain rules, like going off of subfolder level otherwise it will apply everywhere, possibly causing loops.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Yes, you'll need to add criteria to limit certain rules, like going off of subfolder level otherwise it will apply everywhere, possibly causing loops.

So the Subfolder Depth is less than / greater than is absolute based upon the initial root folder the rules are applied against in the Folders column in the editor, and that folder represents Zero as it's number?

Greater than 1 will ensure the rule doesn't apply to the root folder (or do I need greater than 0 to get the first level of subfolders), and less than 1 will ensure the rule doesn't apply to the subfolders, in spite of the effect of Go Into Subfolders?
metaning

It's the number of levels from the top, with the top level being 0. So you want "greater than 0" for anything below the top level and "is 0" for stuff at the top level. You can use the preview and rule status function to help visualize this.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:It's the number of levels from the top, with the top level being 0. So you want "greater than 0" for anything below the top level and "is 0" for stuff at the top level. You can use the preview and rule status function to help visualize this.

Fantastic - proof of concept is all working :)

Cheers.
metaning

Return to Support