Trash not emptying on schedule

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Trash not emptying on schedule Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:37 pm • by pumasalad
Since upgrading to Sonoma, Hazel does not empty the trash completely any more. I currently have it set to "Delete files sitting in the trash for more then 1 day" with no size restrictions. It's set to "delete normally"

Many of the files I put in the trash go away after 1 day, but not all. and sometimes few go away and many stay. It's odd because *some* go away and others don't.

I use CleanShot to take a ton of screen shots throughout the day and I drag 95% of them to the trash once I'm done with them. If I put 50 screen shots made by the same keyboard combination and within a couple of hours of one-another into the trash, Hazel will wait until they are a day old and then delete 20 of them and leave 30 of them behind. or delete 5 and leave 45. or delete 49 and leave 1.

The end result is that at the end of the week I still have a lot of files in the trash that didn't auto-delete when they should have, and they have (at least they should have) the same exact permissions as the ones that did auto-delete.

any suggestions? I've used this feature in Hazel since it was first introduced years ago and I've become dependent on it! Help!
pumasalad

Re: Trash not emptying on schedule Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:46 pm • by jrgsch
I had nearly the same problem with Sonoma. I created a Keyboard Maestro Macro to move all files from ~/Library/Mobile Documents/.Trash to ~/.Trash. Since using this macro, Hazel clears the trash again as expected.

Also tried to move the files also with Hazel, but I often got errors, that a file could not be moved (I think, that happened when Hazel tried to move folders, but I'm not quite sure).

Hope that helps...
jrgsch

Re: Trash not emptying on schedule Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:04 am • by Mr_Noodle
Sonoma is bit of a mess with how iCloud handles things. I'll look into workarounds for this.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support