Color label is red not triggering on iCloud folder

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hello Hazel community,

after upgrading to Sonoma I have an issue on my iCloud folder '30_IC_OCR_OUT' with the condition attribute Color Label.
Condition:
Color Label is red
Although the PDF document has a red color label, the rule preview has the result 'Rule does not match'.
See linked screenshot: https://share.cleanshot.com/4VYHm1TC

On my Downloads folder the same condition attribute Color Label check has the result 'Rule matches' when applied to a PDF with the red (German Rot) tag.

Versions:
OS X Version 14.0 (Build 23A344)
Hazel Version 5.2.2 (Build 2344)

Any idea how to fix this?

Kind regards,
Thomas
schmudi

Your screenshot is showing color label as grey. I suggest matching against the Tags field instead of color label if you want "Rot" specifically.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Your screenshot is showing color label as grey.

Well, that is part of the problem. As I have set it initially to red as shown in the left part of the screenshot.
I created a Hazel rule that does nothing elses as Set color label to red in the downloads folder. In the Downloads folder the color tag is then also recognized in Hazel. However when this file is copied to this iCloud folder, the color is then shown as red in Finder, but grey in Hazel ('Check the status of the current rules' > 'Show info for the file') - weird.

Seems to be conected to this reported issue https://www.noodlesoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14937:
PS (for the Noodlesoft devs): I originally built these rules on a MBA M2 w/Sonoma beta, and while the color tag issue was the same, I noticed that it actually reversed the color tagging on the Mini M1/Ventura, so the empty folders were tagged, and the folder w/files were clear. So weird Sonoma/iCloud/color tag glitch perhaps.

I'am not sure on how to narrow down the problem further and how to proceed, as quite some of my rules are dependent on colors.
schmudi

Have you tried using tags instead of colors?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Have you tried using tags instead of colors?

Yes when changing 'Color Label is Rot' to 'Tags contain Rot' the condition is met and the rule matches again.

My rules with 'Color Label is' worked fine before upgrading to Sonoma. Colors are set most of the time automatically with other hazel rules. Just checked it with a rule which sets it via 'Set color label' and the red color selected.

I am wondering if I have to changed all rules to condition 'Tag contain' or if I have messed something up which I could fix?
schmudi

There probably is some issue with Sonoma. Are these files on iCloud drive by chance?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:There probably is some issue with Sonoma. Are these files on iCloud drive by chance?

Yes they are
schmudi

Sorry, for some reason forgot which thread I was in (you mention iCloud in the post topic).

There may be some issue with color labels, Sonoma and iCloud but I say converting to tags is the best thing for the long run as it's more precise.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support