Two Rules Conflict: Tagging vs Sorting

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Two Rules Conflict: Tagging vs Sorting Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:24 pm • by disgp
Hello everyone,
I'm facing quite controversial issue with running two Hazel rules that I've set up to manage my Photoshop files. Here's a quick rundown:

Rule 1: This rule looks for any file that contains the string "psedit" in its title and adds a "photoshop" tag to it.
Rule 2: This rule identifies psd files that contain the string "psedit" in their title and runs a shell script to combine these files into a single folder. I also tried choosing Sort into subfolder action instead of running script but the results are the same.

The Issue
When enabled one at a time - both rules are running perfectly. However, when both rules are enabled, Rule 2 does not execute. If I disable Rule 1, Rule 2 works fine. If I enable Rule 1, then disable it, then enable Rule 2 - all good too. As a workaround, I modified Rule 2 to also add the "photoshop" tag before running the shell script and disabled Rule 1. Now Rule 2 doesn't execute at all, even though the Rule Preview shows the files as matching.
I suspect that there is something about tags that somehow preventing Rule 2 from executing properly. But since each rule works fine by itself, I'm not sure why this would be the case.

Troubleshooting Steps Taken
Enabled debug mode in logs - didn’t find anything abnormal.
Tried changing the sequence of actions -didn't resolve the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any insights on how to fix it?
Thank you for your time and assistance!
disgp

Re: Two Rules Conflict: Tagging vs Sorting Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:43 am • by Mr_Noodle
If you check the Rule Status, it will show only the first rule matching. That is because once a match is found, Hazel stops checking subsequent rules. You need to use the "Continue" action on the first rule if you want evaluation to keep going after a match.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support