Synching files with dot/period in their names

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I have created a rule that successfully synchs the contents of a particular folder. Alas, the synching is only partially successful. Some of the files contained in that folder are Unix files that start with '.' What I have noticed is that if one of such files is added to a particular subfolder in the monitored folder, then the synching will take place without any problem. If the file starting with '.' is modified or added to the monitored folder, however, Hazel will ignore it (rather, "not see it", I think).

I want to use Hazel to keep a backup of my most important configuration files but I can't do it with those whose name starts with '.' . Is there any solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

JM
jmfontana

Can you post your rule?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Sure, here it is:

[url]https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/8h9qrwvz2j4oasq12aoj0/config_backup.hazelrules?rlkey=xjmzgsv785dghl79x7ljc0e3j&dl=0]config_backup.hazelrules[/url]
jmfontana

I suggest checking the manual. There's a whole chapter on how to sync folders and this isn't quite how to do it. After changing that, report back on whether that changes anything.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support