Not matching content created by Preview

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Not matching content created by Preview Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:14 am • by kleep
Hi!
I have a rule that searches a pattern and renames the file in question accordingly:

For some reason if I add the text in Preview.app the only way to make it work is through print -> pdf (macos 13.5.1). Previously in 10.6 I had to go through export pdf for it to work. Exporting or "saving" won't trigger Hazel.

Is there anything to do?

Thanks,
Paul
kleep

Re: Not matching content created by Preview Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:37 am • by Mr_Noodle
When you say you are adding text, are you talking about annotations or filling in fields? It may be the case that printing it is the only way to get it to work.

Also, what version of Hazel are you running?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Not matching content created by Preview Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:36 am • by kleep
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I have updated my macOS to latest in the meantime (13.5.2) and Hazel to 5.2.2 and the problem persists.

Save and Export from Preview.app won't work
Print -> Pdf -> Save as pdf works

IMHO it has to do with the fact that Preview keeps the added text editable, once it's gone through the printing process it's not editable anymore.
kleep

Re: Not matching content created by Preview Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:23 am • by Mr_Noodle
Again, are you filling in fields or adding annotations?

If you absolutely have to use Export, can you provide logs showing that it is not triggering Hazel?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Not matching content created by Preview Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:34 pm • by cabenn
I have this same issue: v5.2.2

- Take screenshot
- Add annotative text
- Save screenshot (.png)
- Hazel cannot find matching text. Text is selectable and copyable to other applications when I open the file in Preview or Safari.
cabenn

Re: Not matching content created by Preview Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:36 am • by Mr_Noodle
@cabenn: That's a different thing. PNG does not have text information. What you are seeing is probably the Live Text feature. Try turning it off in System Settings to see how it behaves.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support