Syncing from one folder to another

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Syncing from one folder to another Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:27 am • by chrisbunch
I’m probably being dim here. I have an iCloud Drive folder containing a handful of files any one of which may be updated by an automatic (eg Drafts) action. I’d like Hazel to monitor this folder and copy/sync any changed files to an identical folder on the Mac Hazel is running on. (The reason for doing this is that Drafts actions on iOS cannot access files on my Mac, but can access iCloud Drive folders, and the system ultimately processing them runs only on the Mac.)

Do the files have to be in a subfolder of the watched folder, or can they be in the folder itself. If so can anyone provide an example?
chrisbunch

Re: Syncing from one folder to another Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:01 am • by Mr_Noodle
Do you need to keep track of file deletions?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Syncing from one folder to another Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:07 am • by chrisbunch
Files rarely deleted so not critical. (Answer:no)
chrisbunch

Re: Syncing from one folder to another Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:31 am • by Mr_Noodle
You can use the Sync action. Check the manual but if using that, then yes, you will need to monitor the folder containing the folder with the files you will be doing stuff with. That will also handle deletions.

Otherwise, you can set up a rule to copy any files that have been modified. You'd also need a separate rule to have Hazel go into subfolders to get to those files. See the manual for the chapter on subfolders for more details on how to do that.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Syncing from one folder to another Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:46 am • by chrisbunch
Thank you — works perfectly!

Chris
chrisbunch

Return to Support