refresh a Directory

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

refresh a Directory Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:06 am • by laurie
I am trying to use Hazel to watch a folder and move any new files to another path. I have 2 computers that can both see this same network directory. I move a file onto the network path via the first computer, and the 2nd computer has a Hazel rule that looks at this path and should move it on to the destination path. But the hazel rule does not action because OS X will not refresh the path. I need to click on the finder window looking at that path for it to refresh and then Hazel runs. Any suggestions? could there be a shell script that I could run on the path that might touch it and get OS X to refresh it every few minute? or an applescript? Thanks in advance
laurie

Re: refresh a Directory Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:26 am • by Mr_Noodle
Does it work if you wait a few minutes? Note that when using a network drive, it usually doesn't send any notifications out so Hazel has to check those drives on a regular basis manually.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: refresh a Directory Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:15 pm • by laurie
Mr_Noodle wrote:Does it work if you wait a few minutes? Note that when using a network drive, it usually doesn't send any notifications out so Hazel has to check those drives on a regular basis manually.

no, it doesnt seem to act after a few minutes. Is there a way I can get Hazel to check a path?
laurie

Re: refresh a Directory Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:26 am • by Mr_Noodle
There may be some issue if Finder won't refresh either. What network protocol is that share using?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: refresh a Directory Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:43 pm • by laurie
I know that should be a simple question but I am still trying to figure out the protocol.
Its on a system called Nexus, by avid media composer. I am asking support now to make sure I get it right. TBC. THanks
laurie

Re: refresh a Directory Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:34 am • by laurie
OK, I finally got the answer to what is the network protocol...
"It’s UPD for the data transfer.

See here:

https://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles ... _Guide.pdf"

how might I go about refreshing a path on UPD in a way that Hazel will function?

thanks in advance
laurie

Re: refresh a Directory Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:25 am • by Mr_Noodle
Not really the protocol I was thinking but it looks like it's a proprietary protocol they are using. I think you need to bring it up with them, especially if Finder is affected as well.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support