Apply a rule to several folders?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Apply a rule to several folders? Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:25 am • by ModestBukowski
Hi,
The way I use Hazel is I have Desktop, Downloads and Screenshots as my 3 main destination folders, so I have the same rule added to all of these 3 folders.

I'm wondering if there's a smart management way here than doing the same work 3 times? Can I group/batch apply a rule to several folders?

Most of my usage is looking for names, or a tag and then move it to another folder.
And for screenshots it's about sort into subfolders once they are older, so it's pretty basic stuff.

Thanks in advance.
ModestBukowski

Re: Apply a rule to several folders? Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:34 am • by Mr_Noodle
You can try rule syncing to sync rulesets across folders. It's not just for syncing across machines but can be used for multiple folders on the same machine.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Apply a rule to several folders? Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:01 am • by ModestBukowski
Thanks.
Sure, I can try to sync my desktop rules.
I understand how I pick a folder and where to sync it but how do I apply it to downloads and screenshots folder then?
And where it looks/move files to folder will that be updated automatically when I apply it to different main folders?

Thanks
ModestBukowski

Re: Apply a rule to several folders? Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:13 am • by Mr_Noodle
Check the manual on how to set up rule sync. You create a sync file for one folder then point the other folders to the same file.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support