Another "Hazel doesn´t move files" Topic

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Another "Hazel doesn´t move files" Topic Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:18 am • by Graf_Wetter
Hi,
my "files don´t move" problem appears when rules are defined for folders on server volumes:

I have several rules that move pdf files from one folder to another to let them be processed by different applications.
Hazel puts the files in the application´s hot folders, the applications process the files and put them in specified "Out-Folders" where Hazel grabs them again and moves them to the next step.

For example
- preflighting
- Refining
- Merging single pdfs to one multi-page-pdf
- Downsampling files
- Archiving files on different volumes

All of the watched folders are on two different server volumes.
Both of them are mounted on the Mac using smb.

Now, several strange behaviors:

When I boot the Mac in the morning, the volumes are auto-mounted and Hazel gets auto-started.
When I move my first pdf in a watched folder, Hazel recognizes the file, in the rules-preview the correct rule is chosen.
But Hazel does´t execute the rule.
When I now say "start rules now", the execution of the rule starts.
I have to do this initial manual start with each network folder that is watched by any rules.

When I stop hazel in the menu bar, reboot my Mac and start Hazel AFTER the Network-Volumes have been mounted, everything works fine with the first file to be processed.

But not reliable.
It seems that from time to time Hazel looses the correct access the watched network folders with the effects described above.
Recognition Yes, Execution No.

Another problem with network-folders:
The "date last modified" Attribute which I have to use very often, doesn´t work reliable when used in rules for network folders.
Maybe the same reason ?

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Graf_Wetter
Graf_Wetter

Re: Another "Hazel doesn´t move files" Topic Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:20 am • by Mr_Noodle
There might be an issue with Hazel being unable to resolve the network mounts. There may be some timing issue. One thing to try is to create an alias on to these folders on your Desktop and see how well they resolve at different points as well.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Hi,

the past few days I tried a lot with aliases (and symlinks) but unfortunately the problems remain the same.

Some other symptoms:
- sometimes its enough to open the network-folder in finder to make Hazel processing the files of this folder
- when there are al lot of files arriving at the same time in a watched folder, Hazel sometimes starts processing the first files but stops then and needs to be started again manually.

Gruss,
Graf_Wetter
Graf_Wetter

But do the aliases resolve properly all the time? If not, then Hazel won't be able to do much better. Did you check that?

Also, you should email me your logs.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support