Improving image workflow using dropbox and exiftool

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi!
In the last couple of years I have successfully managed to build a pretty decent workflow around my "camera uploads" dropbox folder using Hazel. Images get imported from various cameras/iphones. Pictures presently get renamed using Phil Harveys ExifTool according to the YYYYMMDD-hhmmss_001.jpg scheme pattern and collected hourly into subfolders with the pattern "YYMMDD NEW_hh0000" - which means I get all pictures from a certain date within one hour into a subfolder named like this. After I manually revise the pictures in all folders I replace the "NEW_hh0000" part of the folder with a description of the content. As soon there is no "NEW_" part in the foldername anymore, the folder gets archived (moved) into my picture archive on another harddisk which is in a "/pics/YYYY/YYMMDD Party with Jon in New York" structure.

So far, so good. It has shown that it's quite much work to manually revise the "NEW_" folders and rename them. Sometimes I also need to take out some pictures of the hourly created folders which do not belong to the set of pictures taken in that hour and sometimes I also need to move pictures from several "NEW_" folders into one, because the pictures are geographically related or all the pictures taken saved in different "NEW_" folders belong to an single event, for example, a party with Jon in New York.

I want to improve this routine so I have less manual work. I thought about these steps will be helping me a lot:

1) Hazel should be able to recursively dive from a parent folder into (hundrets) of these "YYMMDD NEW_hh0000" subfolders and get Exiftool to find the coordinates and rename the images.

2) Exiftool or another tool would find the GPS coordinates and will look up into a predefined "geographical keyword database" to see if the GPS location is in a predefined area. If there are new pictures from a location which do not have yet a predefined area, I get asked to predefine it. This means at the end pictures out of the all the hourly subfolders taken within a certain time (usually on the same day) in a certain predefined area they will be renamed according to individual keywords (e.g. "YYYYMMDD-hhmmss Party with Jon in New York.jpg")

3) I want Hazel to sort the images with the same keywords into new subfolders which also contain the keywords of all images (e.g. /pics/YYYY/YYMMDD Party with Jon in New York/YYYYMMDD-hhmmss Party with Jon in New York.jpg")

Is anyone willing to help me with that? I would even pay for help, if some professional Hazel programmers want to offer it, its much appreciated.

Thanks,
Markus
mabebi

For #1, check out subfolders in the manual. There's a whole chapter on that.

#2 would require some programming. Maybe someone here can offer help on that front though you may also want to check more general programming forums.

Not sure about #3. If there are multiple keywords, which one gets used? Can you provide another example along with an explanation of how it would go through this step?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Hi and much thanks for the reply. I will read more about #1 and also dive into #2, and maybe there is somebody keen on offering programming help. For #3, it all depends how #2 gets solved. Right now Hazel triggers my subfolders and as long it finds "NEW_" in there the folder is untouched. If my workflow can get solved like I imagine it I want Hazel to collect (the renamed) pictures (output of #2 still in their subfolders) but only those which geographically belong to each other taken on the same day out of the subfolders and put they into a new one and the folder should have the name of the keywords given for the pictures e.g. /YYMMDD Party with Jon in New York and in there all the YYYYMMDD-hhmmss Party with Jon in New York.jpg pictures of that day are to be found. It I think for #3 its best to wait until its sure #2 can be solved.
mabebi

I have done a bit research and came across this awesome posting:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12569&p=32158#p32158

Basically this is more or less exactly what I wanted to do. I will try to revive the old thread, maybe someone can help there, as I am not sure if I can get www.rubygeocoder.com to run myself.
mabebi

Return to Support