A more complex batch file renaming question

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Before you ask, yes I did attempt to answer my question via the prefered methods.

Alright, so here is my situation.
I have a folder, this folder contains thousands of eBooks, nestled within various layers of subfolders. What I wish to do, is rename them all according to a specific naming convention. Specifically, filename contains only lowercase, contains no spaces, and contains only the dash special character to separate words and numbers. For the most part every eBook contains the filename I want it to have, but they all contain a varying combination of spaces, ( , ..., capital letters, spaces before and after a dash, and irrelivant text I want removed. But I am at a loss as to figuring out how to set Hazel to the task. I can get it to look at the folder and subfolders, I know how to understand and conduct the various renaming options, and all that is fine. But the task simply seems too complex for me to comprehend. Do you know if there is a way to define a set of rules for Hazel to apply to all files? Such as if/then statements. If Hazel encounters a filename with uppercase then Hazel changes to lowercase, if Hazel encounters a filename with spaces then Hazel removes spaces, if Hazel encounters a filename with special characters other than dash then Hazel removes them, if Hazel encounters a filename with multiple consecutive dashes then Hazel removes extra dashes. That sort of thing? Any help is appreciated even if it is just directing my attention to a manual chapter, or another thread or video.
KiddoKiddoKiddo

Can you provide specific examples?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support