searching contents of PDF broke when I upgraded to a new MBA

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

10 rules that I have used for several years to file PDFs from my Downloads folder all stopped working right around the time I upgraded to a new Macbook Air. I don't know if it's a M2 issue, or if it's a Ventura issue, or if is a transfer of my license issue, but they don't work anymore. Recreating them from scratch also does not work. Any ideas?

The rules look like this:

-----------------
if ALL of the following conditions are met
Name - starts with - Remittance_Advice_Report
Extension - is - pdf
Contents - contain - SFMA Run ID
-----------------

it does not match any files. BUT if I remove the Contents line, it will match the files. The files in question *do* include "SFMA Run ID", if you search on them in the open PDF (using command-F), it highlights the phrase as expected. My work-around is to remove the contents line for some of the rules, but that doesn't work for a handful of them, because multiple PDFs with different contents have the same filename when they are downloaded.
pumasalad

"Contents contain" uses Spotlight under the hood so if the file isn't indexed in Spotlight, it won't match in Hazel either. You need to either diagnose your Spotlight index or switch to "Contents contain match". The latter is more reliable at the expense of some performance.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support