Rules for finding file in subfolder tree

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Rules for finding file in subfolder tree Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:13 pm • by luckyc
Hi there,

I’ve been trying to set up Hazel to alert me when a .mov file get added to either a folder called “x” or “y” on my network drive, but I can’t for the life of me figure out why it won’t work.

I’ve created a first rule with the “run rule on folder contents” and “continue matching rules”, and then a second rule that says “if file type is .mov and Creation date or Modification Date is Today” and if “for the current file of folder” name is “x” or “y”, send me a notification.

However I can’t seem to make it work, as I’m not getting notifications when .mov files are added to my folders. The basic issue I have is: we use a the same folder structure model that we put under different folders for different jobs (so that a top level folder called “Job A” will have sub folders called “x” and “y”, and a different top level folder called “Job B” will also have those folders called “x” and “y” and so on), and I need Hazel to alert me whenever a .mov file is added to one of those sub folders no matter with job it is on my network drive. All these “Job A”, “Job B”, etc. folders are contained within a month folder (e.g. “March”), which itself is contained within a year folder (“2023”), so I’ve set my rules to run against the top folder (2023).

Is this something Hazel can reliably do ?

Just for info, I’ve activated spotlight indexing on the network drives to ensure that Hazel would work, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance !
luckyc

Try the troubleshooting guide here: https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-tro ... ing-guide/

Report back with the results.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support