Reuse custom attributes

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Reuse custom attributes Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:47 am • by eN0ch
I do a lot with custom attributes nowadays, especially with dates. So that means I seem to be forever repeating the same date format configurations. Is there something I'm missing here? i.e. Is there a way to save custom attributes somewhere for easy reuse? Thanks.
Lance <º))><

iMac 24" 2021 M1 | macOS 14.4.1 | Hazel 5.2.1
eN0ch

Re: Reuse custom attributes Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:46 am • by Mr_Noodle
No way to do that now. What is the format you keep using?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Reuse custom attributes Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:32 am • by eN0ch
Mr_Noodle wrote:No way to do that now. What is the format you keep using?

I'm trying to include the issued date of documents such as bank statements and utility bills in the filename, using the "Contents contain match" condition. I like to configure dates as dd-mm-yyyy. The documents I'm working with mostly use either the same format, or dd/mm/yyyy, or yyyymmdd, or yyyy-mm-dd, or dd <short-month> yyyy. So I very often manually create a date condition using one or other of those. (A few use other variations such as full name of month, yy, d & m (no padding)).

I know there's the "automatically detect" option. But I'm never sure how reliable that is. Unless maybe Hazel has the ability to learn my habits?? I don't recall reading that anywhere, if so.

The format Hazel seems to default to when it gets to the 'rename' action is yyyy-mm-dd. Because I prefer the reverse of that, I need to manually drag two of those elements every time to configure it how I like.

Would it be in order to ask for custom attribute favourites as a feature request? Is it possible? If so, then that's my request. :)
Lance <º))><

eN0ch

Re: Reuse custom attributes Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:36 am • by Mr_Noodle
I've added it to the feature database for future consideration. The automatic date detection is the one that Apple uses throughout the OS, like in Mail messages.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Reuse custom attributes Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:45 am • by eN0ch
Excellent, thanks. Guess I might try the automatic detection a bit more ...
Lance <º))><

eN0ch

Return to Support