How to move files out of subfolders and then sort them into

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

My monitored folder has a subfolder with folders containing PDF files. I want to move all the PDF files to the top level of the monitored folder and then delete the empty subfolders. I can do this by a move-rule, a delete-rule and a "Go into subfolders" rule.

But after having done that, how can I automatically sort all PDF files whose names contain "dog", for example, into a subfolder with the name "Dog"?

For this I created two rules:
1. Name contains dog
2. Sort into subfolder with pattern Dog

But this ONLY works if I previously disable the other rules, including the "Go into subfolders" rule.
What do I need to do in order that all actions can be accomplished in one go?
Moving

Do you have the "Move PDF to top level" rule before the "dog" rule? If so, then all the PDFs will end up matching that rule and not get to the dog one. You will need to re-order your rules to take that into account.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

This doesn't work. Now the PDF files are just all unsorted in the monitored folder.
Is it possible to send screenshots to this forum?
Moving

I have re-ordered the rules numerous times, but to no avail, I simply can't get the last rule to work with the others. It seems the "Go into subfolders"-rule is blocking free flow.

Here is a new, more detailed description of my setup. I have changed the names of the rules to better reflect their purpose. — And forget the "dog" I mentioned in my first post; it was just an example. I was trying hard to come up with a description as simple and lucid as possible.

So here is my second attempt:
A] In the monitored folder there are English and French PDF newspaper files at the top level. In addition to that there is a folder full of subfolders containing regional and national German newspapers.
B] I want Hazel to put the (1) English PDF newspaper files into a folder with the name "English" and (2) the French PDF newspaper files into a folder called "French". Then (3) all the German PDF files should be moved to the top level of the monitored folder and (4) the now empty folders should be deleted. And finally (5) the regional German PDF newspaper files, which are now on the top level, should be moved into a new folder called "Regional papers".

C] The rules are:
1) Move English newspapers at top level into a new "English" subfolder
2) Move French newspapers at top level into a new "French" subfolder
3) Delete not needed extra files in subfolders
4) Move PDF to top level
5) Delete empty folders in sub-file 0
6) Go into subfolders
7) Move regional newspapers into 'Regional' subfolder

If all rules are enabled, Hazel will always stop after rule 6 (Go to subfolders). If I then disable rules 1-6 and enable only the last rule number 7 (Move regional newspapers into 'Regional' subfolder), then that task is performed too without a hitch.

You said I need to re-order my rules. But how? Where is rule 6 (Go into subfolders) supposed to be?

Thanks for any help…
Moving

Try the troubleshooting guide here: https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-tro ... ing-guide/

In particular, the rule status feature will show how the files/folders are matching.

Evaluation stops after the first match so you need to keep that in mind. I'll need to see the specific rules to answer your question but if a file/folder is matching 6 before matching 7 and you want it to match 7, then it stands to reason that you should swap the order of those.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support