Rule any file does not include subfolders?!

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Rule any file does not include subfolders?! Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:58 am • by Faloo
Hi,

I have a folder with files and lots of subfolders including lots of more subfolders and files, so for example:

Mainfolder
_file1.jpg
_file2.jpg
_folder_a
__file3.jpg
__file4.jpg
__folder_aa
___folder_aaa
____file_100.jpg

I want to sort all files those files only in subfolders with pattern "date created". So my goal is something like that:

Mainfolder
_2022-05
__file1.jpg
__file2.jpg
__file3.jpg
_2022-01
__file4.jpg
_2021_10
__file100.jpg

My rule for Mainfolder is:

If all of the following conditions are met
- Any file
Do the following to the matched file or folder
- Sort into subfolder with pattern: date created

But the rule only works for file1.jpg and file2.jpg. All files simply remain in those subfolders.
Faloo

Please search for subfolders in the manual.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Rule any file does not include subfolders?! Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:31 pm • by Faloo
Thank you. I didn't even know a manual exists. It is very hidden on your page. Should be placed more prominent.
Faloo

It's also available via the standard Help menu in the app itself.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Hi,

I think I speak for all users when I say that it would make more sense to add a checkbox rather than downloading a preset. Alternatively, it would be useful to have the option included in the rules. The app is so beautifully clean and easy to use that, in my opinion, the lack of a checkbox or the option to set a rule is a major downside.

Cheers
kunemann

While I understand your request, having a checkbox is not sufficient. It's actually a bad idea in many cases to go into every subfolder indeterminately. The basic subfolder rule should really be customized by the user to it their case.

For instance, users that have a huge subfolder hierarchy under the monitored folder: the resource usage can be extreme and with no mechanism to pick and choose which folders to go into, Hazel would become near unusable in such cases. Also, many times users only want certain subfolders to be processed an others untouched. It only makes sense to use the condition system that are already in place to be able to specify that.

Lastly, going into subfolders is potentially the most destructive thing you can do in Hazel. Making it too easy is only courting disaster for many users who may not be able to see the repercussions.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support