EXIF Information NOT shown in Finder?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

EXIF Information NOT shown in Finder? Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:37 am • by metaning
Hi,

Just wondering if it's possible for Hazel to read EXIF information that doesn't show up when you Get Info on a file in Finder?

For example, videos taken on iOS devices have an EXIF for Device Model, but Finder doesn't show it. Aperture can search & find on it, you can see it in A Better Finder Attributes etc.

Is there a known workaround for this?

Thanks.
metaning

Re: EXIF Information NOT shown in Finder? Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:45 am • by Mr_Noodle
You'll need a script/program to extract that info. I think a common program is exiftool though unsure whether that works for video files as well.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: EXIF Information NOT shown in Finder? Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:02 am • by metaning
Mr_Noodle wrote:You'll need a script/program to extract that info. I think a common program is exiftool though unsure whether that works for video files as well.

ahh, so if all I wanted to do was to capture the file based upon its exif so it could be filtered to structured subfolders... what would be the way forward... using another app / script to extract the info, then applying that info back to the file, for every file encountered?
metaning

Re: EXIF Information NOT shown in Finder? Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:07 am • by Mr_Noodle
You could write a script to extract that info and then export it to Hazel as an output attribute. This can only be done for AppleScript or JavaScript. See the manual for more details.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support