Remove backups files rule

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Remove backups files rule Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:56 am • by justness
Hello! I have an question regarding Hazel and Subfolder-depth. I have been reading the manual and have been trying out some rules with my Cubase Project folder. Since the folder gets totally cluttered with bak files and i really like the way Hazel puts those back-up files in a seperate folders for each project folder...so now there is this thing that i want to try and that is when my back-up folder inside of the project folder also gets cluttered with 50-100 back-up files i like to setup a rule that hazel trashes those backup files but keeps the 5 most recent backup files in those subfolders.. I have tried some rules but everytime hazel is moving all files to the trash. (No worries.. i tried these rules on some test folders :D )
I will add some photos how i have setted it up right now, perhaps someone can help me out to find a solution. :?: :idea: :oops:

So "Cubase Projects" should be the monitored folder. This is where i will apply those subfolder rules.
Hazel rules:
Image Image Image Image

edit: re-uploaded the screenshots so they are not so overwhelming big haha :D
Last edited by justness on Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
justness

Re: Remove backups files rule Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:50 am • by Mr_Noodle
Try going through the troubleshooting guide here: https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-tro ... ing-guide/

Report back on how things look in the preview and rule status.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Remove backups files rule Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:13 am • by justness
I will check it out right now.
It seems to be that these images are to big in size?
You need to open them in a new window in your webbrowser to view them in fullsize.
Tnx for the fast response. I will will report back ASAP.
justness

Re: Remove backups files rule Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:33 pm • by justness
Okay.. So i checked the Preview against my rules.. I mean, it is Putting the backup files into the folder like i wanted but it keeps moving all the bak files to the trash.
The preview shows me that everything matches.. So therefor it is not clear for me why it is not keeping the 5 most recent bak files but moves them all in the trash. :)

I changed the rule, i am just not figuring out WHY it is not working.. I enabled debug mode. But i am really not so skilled to read through such amount of text and find what is exactly the problem.

Subfolder Depth is 2, because i want to have the rule go inside the Project Backup Files folder and then from there on monitor these subfolders to keep it clutter free so i will only have 5 of the most recent backup files available.
justness

Re: Remove backups files rule Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:46 am • by Mr_Noodle
Can you post the rule status window?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support