Unable to retrieve Device Model when renaming images

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi all --

I'm having trouble getting Hazel to recognize the camera device model on jpegs. I've confirmed that the file contains this information in the EXIF/TIFF metadata both by looking at it with FileViewer (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/file-viewer/id495987613) and by running EXIFTool:

Code: Select all
exiftool -a -G1 -s IMG_8921.jpg | grep iPhone | more

which produces:

Code: Select all
[IFD0]          Model                           : iPhone 8
[ExifIFD]       LensModel                       : iPhone 8 back camera 3.99mm f/1.8
[Composite]     LensID                          : iPhone 8 back camera 3.99mm f/1.8

So I would expect Hazel to recognize the device model as "iPhone 8". However, this same jpeg file does not trigger a Hazel rule that checks for "Device Model is not blank".

Any suggestions?
felciano

Select the file in Finder and do "Get Info". Do you see the model there?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Yes
felciano

Actually I just noticed this is an HEIC file, not JPEG. I assume the metadata processing is the same there, but maybe not?
felciano

Shouldn't matter as long as the metadata is available to Spotlight. I suggest going through the troubleshooting guide here: https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-tro ... ing-guide/

In particular, the preview should shed some light on things.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Hi all --

Just to close this thread out: the issue has gone away on its own. And by "on its own", I mean, after a varying number of system updates, MacOS reboots, and `brew update` runs that upgraded EXIFTool at least once, the issue no longer occurs. Bottom line is that its pretty clear this wasn't a Hazel issue and device metadata is being processed as expected now.

Thanks,
Ramon
felciano

Return to Support