Filename Matching - Custom Date not Matching

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Filename Matching - Custom Date not Matching Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:14 am • by brimanst
I have an issue that I cannot find an answer with Professor Google or by searching this forum. I am trying to rename files that have the YYYYMMDD format to the YYYY-MM-DD format. When I setup the conditions for the rule (Filename: 20200406 Some Specific Name.txt), I use the Name Matches condition with the Custom Date Token. If I keep the "Automatically detect date format" checkbox, checked it matches, however, if I deselect it and use the (1999)(12)(31) pattern, it does not detect it. Further, if I use the Custom Text Token and use any of the single character patterns, it also does not match. I have also downloaded other people's hazel rules which report to solve the same issue, but they do not match either. I do not want to use the Auto Detect feature, as it would also find correctly named files (YYYY-MM-DD).
This is baffling me as it seems that it should be way easier than all the other rules I have defined in Hazel. Any assistance in how to troubleshoot the rule condition (I am using the Preview option now) would be greatly appreciated. I have years and years of files and as many file types with various naming conventions used by various members of my team. Thanks.
Current Configuration
Hazel 5.1.1
macOS Monterey
M1 Macbook Pro
brimanst

Can you give the full name of the file plus the full pattern you are using for the "Name matches" condition?

Also, unrelated but you should update to 5.1.4. Note that the in-app updater may be broken in which case I suggest downloading and installing the update manually.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thanks for the quick reply. The filename is/was: "20220905 317 CC Transactions to date.pdf".

Also, I was able to re-enable and modify one of my older rules that uses a Custom Text token and it worked. I don't think I have any disabled rules that used the Custom Date tokens.

Update**
I manually updated to 5.1.4 with the same symptoms on rule creation using the Custom Date token.
Current Configuration
Hazel 5.1.1
macOS Monterey
M1 Macbook Pro
brimanst

What is the full pattern?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support