Save date format for ALL downloads, regardless of folder

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi Noodlers

Is there a way to Save date format for ALL downloads, regardless of the target folder? I want to be able to have all downloads apply a rule to save the current date in before the file name. For all folders.

Thanks!
timkrupnik@gmail.com

Downloads should normally go to the Downloads folder. Is there a reason why you are having them go elsewhere?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Downloads should normally go to the Downloads folder. Is there a reason why you are having them go elsewhere?

I get hundreds of email attachments per day and need to save to many different folders.

So is it possible to do this, or not? Please advise. Thanks
timkrupnik@gmail.com

You'd need to either have Hazel monitor all those folders separately or create a Smart Folder which can encompass them.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:You'd need to either have Hazel monitor all those folders separately or create a Smart Folder which can encompass them.

Thank you. Can you kindly explain how you would do that with a smart folder? The challenge is that I also make new folders every day to contain new attachments.

I have another question: is there a way to automate re-naming of files within downloaded zip folders?

Thanks Mr noodle
timkrupnik@gmail.com

Smart Folders are a macOS feature so search around for guides on how to use those.

Hazel cannot look inside zip files. You will need to unarchive them for Hazel to operate on them.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support