Change of "home" folder, how to repair destination rules?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi all,

I do not own the computer that I use Hazel on and recently I was given another machine to work on.

I use Hazel a lot, especially to move PDF to folders according to their contents.

Now that the home folder name was changed, the rules do not work anymore.

I'm aware that we can relocate but there's hundreds of rules and that would take a lot of time.

Is there any way to change the rule to match the new home folder structure ?

Thank you
noodlilo

How did you migrate your rules over?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:How did you migrate your rules over?

I took the .hazelrules file and tried to import it to the same folder as before.

But when I inspect a rule where a move should occur, it doesn't seem to find it back sadly (it states that the destination is unavailable).
noodlilo

Did you take the hazelrules files directly from the Application Support/Hazel folder or did you export them?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Did you take the hazelrules files directly from the Application Support/Hazel folder or did you export them?

I took them from the Application Support folder, because I don't have access to the previous home session anymore. Does that change anything?
noodlilo

It does. If it's too late to export the rules from the old install then you'll have to fix them manually.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:It does. If it's too late to export the rules from the old install then you'll have to fix them manually.

Dang, it's too late sadly. Can I mass edit the rules and replace the paths somehow? Else I'll ask to create a second home folder with the same name as the previous machine and then try to export and reimport again as you suggested.
noodlilo

The relocate feature is made for that case but if that isn't working, doing it manually is the only solution.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:The relocate feature is made for that case but if that isn't working, doing it manually is the only solution.

Using the relocate on hundreds of rules seems like a tedious task, that's why I wanted to ask here if there was a better way
noodlilo

The relocate function works across all rules for a particular folder. If you change folder A to folder B, it will change it everywhere in your rules.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support