Hazel move audio files after they are finished recording?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I record several podcasts using Audio Hijack. Most of the audio files need to be placed, after recording, in shared folders where editors work on them. Is this something Hazel can do? The problem is that they files have to be moved only after the recordings have ended, but they are written to disk progressively as Audio Hijack is recording. While the files are recording, they have names like this:

microphone.m4a_partial

But after they are finished, they have names like this:

microphone.m4a
kirkmc

Since the extension is different seems like you can filter on that.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I played around with this for a while, and I think I figured it out. One problem is that if Hazel copies files, it still sends a notification every minute to tell me that a file wasn't copied because it's a duplicate. (I want to copy the files so I still have the originals in one location.) I resolved that by setting a color label after the copy, and telling Hazel to only copy files without that color tag. I'd kind of expect something in a rule that would prevent it from occurring repeatedly, if files aren't moves. Is there anything more elegant than the color label?

I have some files I need to put into a shared Dropbox folder, but I don't want to be running Dropbox all the time. Is it possible to use the Upload action to send files to Dropbox? I usually access it with Transmit, but I don't see how I'd set that up in Hazel.
kirkmc

Can you post your rule?

As for Dropbox, I don't know if they use any standard protocol that Hazel's Upload action uses. Transmit may have special support for Dropbox's APIs in this case.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support