Move files based on where they were downloaded from

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I'm just learning Hazel (I have version 5.1.2) on Mac OS 12.4.
I have a rule that moves a file from 'downloads' to a subfolder if it was downloaded from a certain website....

If any of the following....Source URL/Address Contains "familysearch"

add tag "purple" and move to folder "genealogy"

It worked great this morning but now just a couple of hours later it doesn't. The problem seems to be in the metadata for the downloaded files.... those that worked this morning had a section "Where from:" and the url of the original file. Now this afternoon that "where from:" is no longer there (from any site including this one).

So my question is did I turn something off inadvertently in Hazel (and if so how do I fix it) ... or is this a non-hazel problem?

Thanks for helping a newly.
DaveRI

The "Where from" (which Hazel uses for "Source URL") is set by the program you use to download files. Only certain programs do this (like Safari). Did you perhaps change which program you were using?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thanks for the reply. I didn't change the program... it was Safari all along. However, a reboot fixed the issue (at least so far today). So I'll likely never know the cause.
DaveRI

DaveRI wrote:… if it was downloaded from a certain website....

In my experience, the entire “More Info” section of all my files’ metadata sometimes disappears.

Some people think that forcing Spotlight to reindex will correct the problem. My experience is inconclusive.
nlucchesi

Return to Support