Missing Device Make / Device Model

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Missing Device Make / Device Model Sun May 29, 2022 9:44 am • by turner7472
I've created a rule that renames my photo files to "YYYY_MMDD - PM - HH.MM.SS - DEVICEMAKE_SEQ.ext".

Everything is working fine, but each time I run the job during my testing, it leaves the DEVICEMAKE portion blank. I've tried it using files from different camera makes and it does the same thing. I've checked the EXIF data on all testing files and the CANON or SONY label is there for the MAKE. These files have resulted in creating file names with the MAKE using other renaming software, so I know the data can be pulled from the file.

I feel like I'm missing a step here maybe?? Any ideas on how to get Hazel to extract that information correctly and use it in the filename?
turner7472

Re: Missing Device Make / Device Model Mon May 30, 2022 9:05 am • by Mr_Noodle
Either in Hazel's preview or in Finder's "Get Info", look up the field name there. What it may be in EXIF may not be how it appears elsewhere.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Missing Device Make / Device Model Mon May 30, 2022 11:39 am • by turner7472
OK, after that tip, at first, I was wondering if there was any other way to get Hazel to pull more than just the information coming from Finder's Get Info, but then I realized what might be the problem. Finder couldn't "get more info" from the file because Spotlight wasn't indexing the share I was connected to and monitoring.

I copied my test files to the desktop and both FINDER and HAZEL immediately gave me more EXIF data.

I disconnected my connection to the server and reconnected using AFP. Enabled indexing on this folder/share by typing the following on terminal command line:

mdutil /Volumes/name -i on

where 'name' is the shared directory that Hazel is monitoring.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!
turner7472

Return to Support