Move to Onedrive folder doesn't work anymore

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Since a few weeks all my Hazel rules keeps renaming a file because the file can't be saved in the designated Onedrive folder. Worked for about two years but not anymore. Does anyone experienced something similar? It seems that something changed in the mapping of the Onedrive folders on a system level in macOS Monterey.
royborgman

I suspect it's a Onedrive/Monterey issue. I've heard that Monterey has tightened things up such that certain cloud services need to change their clients to work properly. I'd suggest checking with Onedrive support.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Move to Onedrive folder doesn't work anymore Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:40 am • by TomB
royborgman wrote:Since a few weeks all my Hazel rules keeps renaming a file because the file can't be saved in the designated Onedrive folder. Worked for about two years but not anymore. Does anyone experienced something similar? It seems that something changed in the mapping of the Onedrive folders on a system level in macOS Monterey.

Same here..., except that my rule for moving a file from the onedrive folder to an internal MacBook directory no longer works.
The rule no longer works since microsoft rolled out the new version of the onedrive app, which is more integrated into the apple operating system and based on the new apple file framework. The associated "mandatory" file-on-demand function seems to be the cause of the problem. Even if I specify that the file should always be available in the onedrive directory on the macbook and therefore has to be downloaded, it is marked as "available offline" but also still as "not yet downloaded" (?????) . It seems that it is stored in some kind of "intermediate directory". It is indeed available offline (I've tested...), but apparently not yet stored in the target directory. Hazel then seems to have a problem accessing it or performing file operations. Renaming works fine, moving does not :-( This behavior changes as soon as I open the file (or the link to the file, whatever this seems to be...) in onedrive. It looks like the "real" file is then moved to the actual Onedrive directory. The "only in cloud" marking is no longer present and all my (old) rules run as expected... that's annoying, I don't know what has gotten into microsoft's head.
TomB

Was this issue ever resolved? I created a Rule to delete empty folders on a certain level of my folder structure which is in a OneDrive root folder. The Rule never worked. However, other rules, like creating a folder structure do work on folders located in OneDrive. I changed the "permissions" as to that drive/folder. That didn't work. I thought that the "cloud" nature of the drive might be the issue so I made sure that all the files and folders were located on my Mac. Still nothing.

The log reads:

2023-02-21 12:11:22.383 hazelworker[4827] [Error] Move failed: Could not move file 02 Correspondence from folder /Users/dobby218-mailinglist/Library/CloudStorage/OneDrive-[MY Business Name/Clio/Client, Name/10 Statements/06 Notes to folder /Users/dobby218-mailinglist/.Trash/02 Correspondence.
2023-02-21 12:11:22.384 hazelworker[4827] 10 Statements: Rule Delete Empty Folders matched.

I copied the entirety of OneDrive and put the duplicate on an external drive. My rule worked on the external drive. So I assume that the issue has to do with the "cloud" nature of the drive even though the files are supposedly located on my computer as well.

If someone has found a solution to the issue, please direct me to it.

Thanks.
rober1y

From all the issues I've heard, I'd highly suggest not using OneDrive. It seems to be a very buggy product.

I suggest turning on debug mode as described here: https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-debug-mode/

After that, post updated logs but keep in mind that there's a good chance it's on OneDrive's side and there's nothing I can do here.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I have seen a number of posts recommending that macFUSE be installed when using external or cloud drives. For example when I installed Cryptomator (which encrypts files for cloud storage), it recommended installing macFUSE. I installed it. I can't say it will solve your problem, but maybe worth a try.

"macFUSE allows you to extend macOS's native file handling capabilities via third-party file
systems. Visit the macFUSE website for more information."
Trickyt57

Interesting. I didn't know that MacFUSE was still a thing but good to know it's an option.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support