Markdown Support

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Markdown Support Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:19 am • by mattellsworth
I bought the new Hazel update recently in hope that I would be able to use it for keeping my Obsidian database organized but have been having trouble with the lack of markdown support.

I saw in other responses that getting MacOS to recognize the
Code: Select all
.md
files as Text Documents can solve the problem, but I've been unable to do that. I have switched the application that handles markdown several different apps: TextEdit, Notes, Obsidian, Visual Studio Code, etc.

Is there a simple way I'm missing to solve the problem? Will you be adding support for markdown files?

I'm using an M1 MBP from 2020 and Monterey 12.1.

Thanks,

Matt
mattellsworth

Re: Markdown Support Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:17 am • by Mr_Noodle
Are you trying to get Hazel to read the file's contents? If so, then it is up to the apps you have installed. Markdown are not natively recognized files so it's up to the app you have installed to handle them to categorize them, and to do so properly.

I suggest installing a fully native app (as opposed to a cross platform one) that supports markdown specifically.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Markdown Support Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:21 pm • by mattellsworth
Thanks for the suggestion, can you also suggest an app that might work? I've tried TextMate, Pine, BBedit, Marked, Ulysses, plus the others I mentioned previously.

Mr_Noodle wrote:Are you trying to get Hazel to read the file's contents? If so, then it is up to the apps you have installed. Markdown are not natively recognized files so it's up to the app you have installed to handle them to categorize them, and to do so properly.

I suggest installing a fully native app (as opposed to a cross platform one) that supports markdown specifically.
mattellsworth

Re: Markdown Support Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:15 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Don't know any off the top of my head but a quick search brings up some Markdown specific editors here https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/mac-markdown-editors/
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support