Performing two roles on the same files

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Performing two roles on the same files Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:52 am • by david.h
Hi, I'm new, and I'm trying out Hazel 5 now.

The workflow I wish to implement via Hazel is this:

(1): When I insert my SD card which contains image and video files from my camera, images and videos are automatically copied to a certain folder of my desktop (It works)

(2): After I rename the images and videos with ExifRenamer (an app that renames files based on EXIF info),
the images are copied to "Resized images" folder, where Hazel resizes images via script (it works).
**in fact, I tried to automate the renaming process, but unfortunately Hazel can't read EXIF info.**

(3) Then the images and videos are sorted into subfolders based on the year and month (based on their renamed names)
(it does NOT work here).
But if I turn off the rule for (2), it works.

So, it seems that the files that Hazel already processed are not processed again.
I searched for any possible way for that, but I haven't been able.

Could you give me some suggestions?

Let me attach the screenshots of the rules.
david.h

Re: Performing two roles on the same files Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:39 am • by Mr_Noodle
By default, a file can only match one rule. Is there a reason why rule 3 is separate? I suggest either combining the rules or in rule 2, use the "Continue" action.

As for the EXIF info, Hazel has access to whatever Spotlight exposes and it does usually index most EXIF info. If you select the file in Finder and do "Get Info", see what is shown under "More Info".
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Performing two roles on the same files Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:30 pm • by thetopp1
This is the 2nd post I've seen where the step I want is kind of skipped over, lol. How do I get Hazel to recognize a new device (sd card, or drone) plugged in to begin some custom steps?

1. Plug or insert SD card into reader or plug Mavic 3 into MacBook (with sd card in it with same name, AND a drive called internal storage)
2. Hazel take the trigger and start my rules of sorting the file types/locations into my existing file structure for staging/post processing.

If I've missed a post with this- my apologies. I tried searching for drone, new device, new sd card
thetopp1

Re: Performing two roles on the same files Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:01 am • by Mr_Noodle
You'll need to monitor the Volumes directory, where all drives show up when mounted. From there, you'll need to set up rules to go into that particular drive and do its work. Search for "volumes" as I believe this has been covered before.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support