Use of "Ignore File" for Debugging Rules

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Use of "Ignore File" for Debugging Rules Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:21 pm • by a_freyer
I ran across this today. I'm not sure if this is intended behavior, but it surprised me. I was testing a series of interacting rules. I wanted to make sure a rule matched properly, but did not want the actions I had already put into the rule to fully process.

To debug this, I added a row of "Ignore File" above all other actions, assuming that would stop the rule from performing additional actions:

Brass Tacks: This does not ignore the file: this ignores the file and continues to process the subsequent actions.
a_freyer

Re: Use of "Ignore File" for Debugging Rules Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:37 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Note: keep questions in the support forum.

"Ignore file" does not really make sense with other actions. What's it's meant for is when you want to set up a rule before other rules to say "these files, don't do anything with them". Since those files will match that rule first, they will never get a chance to be matched against the rules after it.

It's counterpart is the "any file" condition. It doesn't make sense with any other conditions since it always matches. You would put it at the end of a rule list to be a catch-all for "everything, do this with them". Note that any rules after a rule with only a "any file" condition will never get matched since the any file will match everything.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Use of "Ignore File" for Debugging Rules Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:55 pm • by a_freyer
Yes, I understand the rule's purpose, but per my original post I was using it for debugging rules with complex actions in place I didn't want to remove just to test the matching.

My post just intended to point out that even though you can add "Ignore File" to the action list it won't do anything. Not a support question, but a tip for those who debug in the same way I attempted to.
a_freyer

Return to Support