Two Hazel entries in System Preferences

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Two Hazel entries in System Preferences Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:43 am • by rpedro
I was troubleshooting Hazel not working with the new Onedrive app for Apple Silicon, and noticed that Hazel has 2 entries in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Files and Folders:
One for the Hazel.app and another for 86Z3GCJ4MF.com.noodlesoft.HazelHelper...

Is it supposed to be like this?
Hazel is working again but that second entry looks weird to me.
rpedro

Re: Two Hazel entries in System Preferences Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:42 am • by rmschne
I see same in 5.1.1 ... so I suspect it's legitimate. Curious, though. Mr. Noodle will surely comment after the weekend.
rmschne

Re: Two Hazel entries in System Preferences Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:20 am • by MrSeagull
Same here,
I seem to have two instances of Hazel running
MrSeagull

Re: Two Hazel entries in System Preferences Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:04 am • by Mr_Noodle
The one with all the seemingly random numbers and letters is the correct one. Unfortunately, Apple requires this horrible naming for certain features.

There should be only one HazelHelper. If you have two, check to see if you still have Hazel installed in System Preferences. If so, right-click on it there and select the option to remove it. Reboot after doing that.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Two Hazel entries in System Preferences Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:47 pm • by rpedro
Mr_Noodle wrote:The one with all the seemingly random numbers and letters is the correct one. Unfortunately, Apple requires this horrible naming for certain features.

Thank you Mr_Noodle, I can live with that :D

I only have one Hazelhelper process in Activity Monitor, along with Hazel and hazelnotifyd.
I think it's all good then.
rpedro

Re: Two Hazel entries in System Preferences Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:21 pm • by MrSeagull
I no longer have duplicate Hazel entries in Activity Monitor. Not sure what changed other than a reboot.
I removed one Hazel (the one without the funky name) entry from Sys Prefs then received an error on reboot about Trash access. So I reinstated it. Seems ok so far
MrSeagull

Return to Support