sort into subfolder based on portion of file name.

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I run a batch export of clips from Final Cut to Compressor that outputs my movies into my Movies folder. I have Hazel watching for this folder for any file that contains a match of a text snippet that Compressor adds to the file name. Hazel removes this extra text so the file is renamed the way I need it to be and then moved to a folder in dropbox.

This was done so I could check that the files were coming out right. I was worried at first because as Compressor is writing the movie it creates the file as well as a temp file. Hazel moves the finished file before its finished to the folder (i.e. the temp file is still building). I thought that would wreck the movie but it doesn't.

So now I have the files, named properly in a catch all folder that I group together into a folder and drop that folder into the shared folder.

How do I get Hazel to put the file in a folder named using the first portion of the file name?

The File Name
Movies/lastName, firstName (clipTime)-compressorExportText.mp4

So from the Movies folder I need Hazel to take the file (preferably completed), rename name the file to drop the Compressor text including the "-", move the file to a folder while sorting into a subfolder based on (or created if not there) "clipReceptical/lastName, firstName/lastName, firstName (clipTime).mp4"

The renaming part works. it will even move it to a folder but then I have to do move stuff to it that I know Hazel can do.
tallyho

Can you post your rule so far? If you don't have an image sharing service, you can use imgur.com to host it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I actually figured it out using matching. Setting the lastName, firstName variables> doing the rename> then sort into subforlder using the match set earlier.

I wasn't using match before and I couldn't understand where you would find those tokens. Found them. thanks
tallyho

Return to Support