"Merge" folders?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

"Merge" folders? Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:51 am • by luomat
Let's say I have a folder such as "/Users/me/Downloads/vlc/" and another folder on an external drive such as "/Volumes/Shared/Apps/vlc/"

What I want to do is take the files from the first folder, and move (not copy) them to the second folder, throwing away duplicates and renaming them if the same file exists but is not a duplicate.

And then I want to do that again for all of the folders in "/Users/me/Downloads/" moving/merging them with all of the folders in "/Volumes/Shared/Apps/".

I've been using 'rsync' for this, but it always makes me twitchy, like I'm going to accidentally delete all of my files at any moment. So I'd rather use Hazel for it, but I'm not sure how to do it, or even if it can be done.
luomat

Re: "Merge" folders? Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:08 am • by Mr_Noodle
You probably want to have Hazel go into subfolders (see chapter in manual on how to set up that rule).

Then you should have Hazel move/copy the files in a separate rule, setting up the option to maintain the folder structure and the rename/duplicate options as you see fit.

Anytime you have Hazel going into subfolders can be tricky so I'd suggest trying the ruleset out on a test folder before doing it on the real thing.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support